Rangefinder riflescopes are used by hunters to determine the distance between them and the animal they are hunting. Once this distance is known, it will help the hunter to take more accurate shot on his/her target.
These group of scopes belong to an innovative class of technology that has been existing since the last century. In our era, these scopes have been useful for solo performance in a variety of ways. There are specially designed rangefinder and there are rifle scopes with in-built rangefinder. Rangefinders are known for their great support in golf, archery and hunting. Well, I will say that we are interested in some riflescopes with rangefinder; therefore, we will save you from the long story and get straight to the point. Here we are going to give you a complete review and guide about this great discovery “rangefinder riflescope”.
Laser riflescope rangefinders (LRF) function by emitting laser beams at the push of a button. The beams get back off to distance object, the rangefinder’s high speed timer then measures the total time it took from when the beam left the scope and when they got back. We however, know how fast the speed of light travels. So, we can simply use the time measurement to calculate the distance it travels. Well, I will say this is a great science.
The answer to the question stated in the title of our article is definitely YES. A significant feature of the rifle scope with a rangefinder consists in capability to measure the distance between a hunter and a desirable target (either estimate or calculate digitally). Such scope will not only save your time and money (no more need to buy a costly separate rangefinder and carry an extra gear around) but will provide you with all the important characteristics for the most precise shooting.
The high-quality rangefinder rifle scope can cost a pretty penny, however, you will not regret this purchase for sure. Below you can find some examples of the most popular scopes with a rangefinder.
|Burris 4-16×50 Eliminator III Laser Rangefinder Rifle Scope||$$$||4,9|
|Burris Eliminator 3.5-10x40 Rangefinder Rifle Scope||$$||4,6|
|Bushnell Laser Rangefinder 4-12x42 Mil-Dot Reticle Rifle scope||$$$||4,7|
|Aim Sports 2-7X42 30mm Scout Scope/Rangefinder||$||5|
|AR15 Tactical Rifle Scope 4-12x50EG Dual Illuminated Optics Sight||$$||4,9|
Bushnell Laser Rangefinder 4-12×42 Mil-Dot Reticle Rifle scope
This innovative rifle scope is considered number one among the line of scopes with a laser rangefinder. The scope features Yardage Pro laser rangefinder accompanied with a bullet-drop compensator and a fully multi-coated optics, which guarantees an amazing HD clarity and precision.
An amazing bonus is wireless trigger pad enabling you to activate the rangefinder easily in a second.
General features of the rifle scope:
- High-grade Mil-Dot reticle;
- 4-12x magnification;
- 30-800 yards/ meter range;
- Operates on one 3-volt battery (5,000 fires);
- Lens caps attached by dual bungee-style cords;
Here are some pros found by Amazon customers:
- The scope does not have any programming at all. It comes with elevation turrets that are calibrated for a range of cartridges, that it why there occur a bit of estimation for different bullet weights;
- The rifle scope seems to be a bit heavy.
- No device to for windage estimation, it is entirely up to you.
Look at some other customers’ reviews on Amazon.com!
Burris Eliminator 3.5-10×40 Rangefinder Rifle Scope
The next scope under review is a ballistic technology rifle scope manufactured by Burris. It was designed to provide you with ranging capabilities up to 800 yards.
The scope has a built-in laser rangefinder and a bullet drop compensator, which makes it very comfortable to use.
Moreover, the rifle scope is accompanied with a cartridge list. It means you are able to plug it into your computer, enter the exact brand and bullet information and the scope will automatically make adjustments for that exact round.
General features include:
- 5-10x magnification;
- Applied mounting hardware;
- Lifetime warranty;
As for failings, like the first scope reviewed above, it is also heavy. Besides, it should be at maximum magnification for the range finding and bullet drop compensator to work properly.
Check the actual price on Amazon.com!
Burris 4-16×50 Eliminator III Laser Rangefinder Rifle Scope
Burris Eliminator III was constructed to become the best and the most popular range finding rifle scopes.
The main advantage it features is an auto aim point technology (complemented with a red dot) that no other scope can offer you. This unique feature, including ballistic programming, makes the task of calculating the distance a lot easier. All you need to do is to place the sight on the target and press the calculate button. The scope will calculate windage and distance and will show you where to shot by lighting up one of the dots in the Mil-Dot reticle or below the windage line.
Some other advantages include:
• A brand-new X96 reticle;
• Great magnification range (4-16x) for your specific rifle load up to 1,200 yards.
• It suits any rifle with a picatinny rail on the top (you may also need to buy a riser adapter on Amazon).
Check the price on-line on Amazon!
Nikon M-223 2.5-10×40 laser IRT black matte riflescope (BDC 600)
This rangefinder riflescope is known for its laser measuring ability which ensures rapid action with a 100% guaranteed precision. However, you will agree with me that Nikon since almost the invention of optics has been playing a great role in the innovation and production of high quality optics. Get on target and take your shot in seconds without lifting your neck from the stock. You will get the most accuracy and potentials with the BDC 600 reticles with five open circle aiming point. All of these and many more features that come with this Nikon 2.5 -10x40mm laser rangefinder scope.
- This laser riflescope has a great 3.5 inches eye relief.
- Equipped with ultra-clear coated optical system for superior image clarity.
- Waterproof, shock proof and fogproof.
- Has an integral mount for Picatinny rails.
- The laser is ballistic and matched to compensate bullet drop.
- It comes with 2.5 -10x magnification.
- Modernized 40mm objective lens.
- 100 – 600 yards well equipped BDC 600 reticles that gives shooters a unique open circle aiming point.
Check the price on-line on Amazon!
Aim Sport 2-7X42 30mm scout scope rangefinder
This riflescope is manufactured to provide you with a great view of your target and also supports a great recoil. Nevertheless, it comes with a very, I mean very affordable prize for a rangefinder riflescope of its type. It is built with high grade aluminum used in the construction of aircrafts. This scope gives you an enhanced green fused multi coated lens system support with an extra protection against harming the lens. Some of its features include:
- Has the magnification of 2X –7X.
- Has a green lens coating.
- Comes with a tube diameter of 30mm and 42mm objective.
- Its length is 11.25”
- Enables high target acquisition.
- Multi-coated lens.
- Built with an F.O.V of about 100 yards.
- Windage(MOA ¼”) and elevation adjustment
- Black matte
Check the price on-line on Amazon!
Solomone cavalli 6-24×50 AO red & green rangefinder
We will not leave solomone cavalli riflescope rangefinder out. It is built with excellence to relieve you with some important functions that riflescopes of its category should be able to provide. One step at a time: this rangefinder is designed with precision multi-coated lens, rapid range, glass etched reticle and great illumination. Built with guaranteed recoil and shock resistance. Below are some other functions which may include:
- Newly introduced different brightness levels for increased adaptability to the environment.
- Compactible with various rifles.
- Designed for high optical clarity at about 6-24 power magnification.
- It is constructed for medium to long range shooting.
- Nitrogen filled.
- Shockproof, waterproof and fogproof.
- Has a guaranteed long life durability.
- Picatinny or weaver rails mounts are included.
Check the price on-line on Amazon!
Most of these types of rangefinder riflescope use battery as a source of power for the laser and different color crosshairs. There are wide range of colors when it comes to laser rangefinder crosshairs with the complete details of distance, elevation and windage displayed on the optics.
Image A: red and green color crosshairs
Image B: rangefinder riflescope range determination statistics
General characteristics of rifle scope with a rangefinder
First foremost, it is very important to understand how these rangefinders work so that you will be able to skillfully apply them when necessary.
When you purchase your laser or rangefinder rifle scope, we advise you read the producer’s manual as it’s a priority. When you fully unbox the riflescope, knowing what and where it should be. After that, you remove the battery from its packet, unlock the compartment cover of the riflescope where the battery should be placed. Insert the battery with polarity (+ and -) as it is indicated by the manufacturer, then replace the battery cover of the riflescope and you are good to go.
There are lots of rangefinder riflescope battery producers in the market today. But first and foremost, when you are buying your laser rangefinder riflescope for the first time, it always comes with complete gadget which may include batteries. Remember that batteries come in different forms and by different manufacturers and you can easily get it from grocery stores or other places they are sold.
Wide range of rangefinder riflescope come with self-mount that can fit in with many rifles and shotguns Picatinny or weaver rails.
How it works:
- First – as soon as the unit receives its first beam, it reflects back to the closest object and then calculates and displays the corresponding distance.
- The beam looks for closest peak. With this function, it will be easy for it to be able to escape false reading from weather effects like fog, rain or snow which are more scattered and don’t result in a peak.
- Largest peak: this helps the laser rangefinder look through the whole readings and finds the largest peak with the same distance and assumes that it is the object you intend to target. This is generally a crucial approach and very helpful especially when it comes to reflective targets that are perpendicular to the user.
- Largest cluster helps the rangefinder riflescope to be able to analyze and determine a set of readings, and looks for the largest group of readings.
- This particular function is known as furthest spike; it is helpful when trying to determine the range of an object that is partially obscured by brush.